Author: Inspiring Mealtime Staff
Here is another yummy drink and snack that we made during this episode of Thirsty Thursday…and a snack! #thirstythursday
Looking for a new delicious drink that has the perfect fall flavors? Look no further, here is the perfect drink and a yummy snack. This delicious drink is perfect for the fall because it has the seasonal fall flavors of tart cranberries and sweet and tangy apple cider. We also prepared a yummy snack of Cookies and Cream Popcorn with the loved flavors of Oreo cookies, gooey marshmallows and creamy white chocolate!
Watch as me and two of my babies bring these yummy treats together!
CLICK BELOW TO WATCH!
Cranberry and Apple Cider Punch
- 1 bottle Cranberry juice, 64 oz
- 1 bottle Apple Cider, 64 oz
- 1 bottle Ginger Ale, 1 liter
- Add cranberry juice, apple cider and ginger ale to pitcher.
- Mix well.
- Add in ice to pitcher or to individual glasses.
- Pour punch over ice and enjoy!
Cookies and Cream Popcorm
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup marshmellows
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 8-10 Oreos, crushed
- Melt butter.
- Add white chocolate chips and marshmallows to melted butter.
- Next, add popped popcorn to melted mixture.
- Sprinkle crushed oreos into popcorn mixture.
- Smooth popcorn onto a baking dish to cool or form into balls and allow to cool.
Do you ever get into the kitchen to prep your veggies or start to cook dinner and you just don’t feel energized to get the job done? Are you the type of person who enjoys listening to fun and upbeat songs? If you are the …
My family loves hot dogs, and it is a meal that is on the meal plan often! I don’t normally choose one brand over another but my husband’s favorite brand is Nathan’s Hot Dogs.
Hot Dogs for Dinner
So on this day, we decided to cook up some hot dogs and top them off with some homemade, yummy chili and cheese. If you’ve ever had a hot dog with chili sauce from a can, then you know that canned chili can be watered down and lack seasoning. This recipe is full of flavor and will be a welcomed change! Homemade chili tastes so much better and this recipe is really easy to put together.
Hot Dog Topping Options
Topping the chili off with shredded cheddar cheese and sliced green onions, adds another level of flavor and deliciousness. My family doesn’t really like much more than this, but you can choose to also add other condiments like ketchup or mustard.
Making the Chili
So, I started the chili off with browning the ground beef, chopped onion and garlic.
Chop up the ground beef while it cooks with the onions and garlic.
Getting little hands involved.
Next, my handsome little helper helped me measure out the spices and seasonings so that I can add it to the browned ground beef. This step is one that you can get your little ones to help you in the kitchen. Just look at that smile and how happy he is to help his mommy!
Drain any excess oil from ground beef. Then add in the chili powder.
Add in the water.
Add in the tomato sauce.
Mix everything all together.
Finally assemble your chili cheese dog.
You can add any toppings that you and your family enjoy. Some ideas are ketchup, mustard or chopped red onions. Fresh, hot french fries will be a good side to have along with your chili cheese hot dogs. Other choices are potato chips, potato salad or coleslaw.
Chili and Cheese Hot Dogs
Chili and Cheese Hot Dogs are perfect for summer dinners.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 can tomato sauce, 15oz
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- chopped green onions
- 8 hot dogs, cooked
- 8 hot dog buns
Start off by browning the ground beef, garlic and onions over medium-high heat. Cook until the meat is browned and the onions are translucent. Chop up ground beef to reduce big clumps. Drain off oil.
Add in the chili powder, salt and pepper. Next, add in the water and tomato sauce and stir until it comes to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat. Let the chili simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Occasionally stir the chili.
Assemble the cooked hot dogs and buns. Top each hot dog with chili sauce and sprinkle with cheese and chopped green onions. Enjoy!
- Ground turkey can be substituted for the ground beef.
- Recipe inspired by Southern Living Speedy Chili Dogs recipe.
Have a taste for something fast, easy, warm and bursting with cinnamon and sugar?!? Try these Fried Cinnamon and Sugar Sticks. My kids and I loved these crispy and yummy sticks. They were the perfect sweet fix for our after dinner dessert.
My son helped me to make this really simple sweet treat. We used the small fajita sized flour tortilla shells to make these crispy little sticks.
Making the Cinnamon and Sugar Sticks
- First, we started off by heating up some oil in a pot, on medium high heat.
- Then, while the oil was heating up, I lined up about three or four of the flour tortillas on my cutting mat. I used a knife to cut the tortillas into strips.
- Once we heated the oil, after about 3 to 4 minutes, we began to add in sticks one at a time. We only put about four to five sticks in the pot at one time.
- We watched the sticks while they cooked for when they started to brown around the edges.
- Then we flipped them and then browned the other side.
- The whole process was probably about a minute. After we browned that batch, we scooped the fried strips out onto a paper towel lined plate, to cool off and drain. Then we started all over again with a new batch of tortilla strips.
- Once we gave time for one batch of Fried Cinnamon and Sugar sticks to cool down a bit, we tossed them in a mixture of cinnamon, sugar and a touch of nutmeg.
And that was it!
It was super fast and fun to make these with my son. A word of caution though, don’t have your oil up too high, because the Fried Cinnamon and Sugar sticks will begin to brown too fast and burn. There is nothing worse than burnt fried cinnamon and sugar sticks!!
I hope that you will give these a try and if you do please let us know!
Fried Cinnamon and Sugar Sticks
- 1 pack Fajita sized tortillas
- Vegetable Oil enough for 1 inch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg or to your taste
- 2 tbsp cinnamon or to your taste
Heat 1 inch of vegetable oil in pan or pot until hot.
While oil is heating up, slice tortilla shells into strips. The thinner you slice them, the quicker they will cook.
Add nutmeg, cinnamon and sugar to a plastic bag large enough to hold everything. Set this mixture to the side until it is time to add in the warm sticks.
Once oil has heated up enough to cook, place about 4 sticks into hot oil.
Watch for the edges to get a golden brown color and then flip the sticks to brown the other side.
Once the sticks are golden brown on both sides, take them out of the hot oil and drain them on a paper towel lined plate or dish.
Add your next round of sticks to the hot oil to brown.
Add the warmed sticks to the bag of cinnamon and sugar and toss to coat.
Serve sticks warm or store in an airtight container.
Be careful not to add the Fried Cinnamon and Sugar sticks while they are too hot to bag. You run the risk of melting the bag!
These are good on their own or with some ice cream. You may also eat them with a vanilla dip or caramel dip.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.