It is the middle of July, so that also means that it is the middle of the summer! And when its summer, that also means that its the season for corn. So, today I am sharing with you a recipe for Not Your Average Corn […]
Have a taste for something fast, easy, warm and bursting with cinnamon and sugar?!? Try these Fried Cinnamon and Sugar Sticks. My kids and I loved these crispy and yummy sticks. They were the perfect sweet fix for our after dinner dessert.
My son helped me to make this really simple sweet treat. We used the small fajita sized flour tortilla shells to make these crispy little sticks.
Making the Cinnamon and Sugar Sticks
- First, we started off by heating up some oil in a pot, on medium high heat.
- Then, while the oil was heating up, I lined up about three or four of the flour tortillas on my cutting mat. I used a knife to cut the tortillas into strips.
- Once we heated the oil, after about 3 to 4 minutes, we began to add in sticks one at a time. We only put about four to five sticks in the pot at one time.
- We watched the sticks while they cooked for when they started to brown around the edges.
- Then we flipped them and then browned the other side.
- The whole process was probably about a minute. After we browned that batch, we scooped the fried strips out onto a paper towel lined plate, to cool off and drain. Then we started all over again with a new batch of tortilla strips.
- Once we gave time for one batch of Fried Cinnamon and Sugar sticks to cool down a bit, we tossed them in a mixture of cinnamon, sugar and a touch of nutmeg.
And that was it!
It was super fast and fun to make these with my son. A word of caution though, don’t have your oil up too high, because the Fried Cinnamon and Sugar sticks will begin to brown too fast and burn. There is nothing worse than burnt fried cinnamon and sugar sticks!!
I hope that you will give these a try and if you do please let us know!
Fried Cinnamon and Sugar Sticks
- 1 pack Fajita sized tortillas
- Vegetable Oil enough for 1 inch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg or to your taste
- 2 tbsp cinnamon or to your taste
Heat 1 inch of vegetable oil in pan or pot until hot.
While oil is heating up, slice tortilla shells into strips. The thinner you slice them, the quicker they will cook.
Add nutmeg, cinnamon and sugar to a plastic bag large enough to hold everything. Set this mixture to the side until it is time to add in the warm sticks.
Once oil has heated up enough to cook, place about 4 sticks into hot oil.
Watch for the edges to get a golden brown color and then flip the sticks to brown the other side.
Once the sticks are golden brown on both sides, take them out of the hot oil and drain them on a paper towel lined plate or dish.
Add your next round of sticks to the hot oil to brown.
Add the warmed sticks to the bag of cinnamon and sugar and toss to coat.
Serve sticks warm or store in an airtight container.
Be careful not to add the Fried Cinnamon and Sugar sticks while they are too hot to bag. You run the risk of melting the bag!
These are good on their own or with some ice cream. You may also eat them with a vanilla dip or caramel dip.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.